[lucida] alle jahre wieder --- suggestions to improve http://tug.org/store/lucida/README-type1.txt

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Wed Jul 24 10:31:29 CEST 2013

(Sent to Ivo Welch half an hour ago. As often I forgot to press Reply-All instead of just Reply.)

Le 24 juil. 2013 à 03:42, ivo welch <ivo.welch at gmail.com> a écrit :

> there is some method to my file organization madness.  by keeping
> ~/texmf-local/ all in my home directory, I can drag my home directory
> across different computers and expect not to forget about it.  in
> addition, my backup is for /home, not for local.  in any case, it
> should work.  (it has in the past.)  I could add /usr/local/ to it and
> move there, but even my ~/bin/* file is my own written stuff, whereas
> /usr/local/bin/

It doesn't have to be so complicated, I think. If:

1/ You put your additions in TEXMFHOME (= ~/texmf on Linux probably).

2/ When applying instructions, you ignore the part about mktexlsr (harmless, but unnecessary).

3/ When applying instructions, you replace updmap-sys by updmap and ignore (if present) the part about using sudo.

4/ (To be verified, I'm not sure) Every time a font-related modification is done in the system-wide texmf tree later (affecting in particular /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map), for example by running tlmgr daily or weekly to check and apply package updates from <http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet>, then afterwards you run updmap manually so as to ensure that your user-specific tree is updated as well (namely, that ~/.texlive2013/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map is updated). By "running updmap" here, I mean

	updmap

without any argument, just like that.

Then you should be just fine.

This step 4/ is a complication, but unfortunately it is necessary: only one pdftex.map is used, and if there's one in ~/.texlive2013 it takes precedence over any more recent one in /usr/local/texlive/2013. (Which is exactly the problem you were experiencing in the first place.)

On the Mac "TeX Live Utility".app (a front-end to tlmgr) includes an option "Automatically enable fonts in my home directory"  to perform step 4/ automatically if I'm not mistaken. I'm not experienced enough with tlmgr to know whether it includes a similar functionality; I think it doesn't but I may be wrong.

Bruno