[lucida] Large braces, question and/or feature request

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Fri Apr 5 10:23:15 CEST 2013

Le 4 avr. 2013 à 18:58, Tobias Columbus <tobias.columbus at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Looking at your examples, it seems to me that an OpenType font feature for small straight braces is the cleanest solution that gives a consistent look of braces of all sizes and requires the least fiddling with TeX internals, although this solution would change the look of Lucida Math considerably.

Hi Tobias,

As an interim measure until that is implemented, a solution is to input braces the old plain TeX way, by specifying the brace size yourself using, instead of \left\{ \right\},

\bigl\{ \bigr\}
\Bigl\{ \Bigr\}
\biggl\{ \biggr\}
\Biggl\{ \Biggr\}

and defining additional sizes if need be as in my test files, sticking to the standard sizes with 6pt increments -- \vbox to8.5pt{}, \vbox to11.5pt{}, etc. -- which seem to avoid any "threshold" effect with LucidaOT.

In this way you won't get curly braces at all sizes, but you will get consistently increasing brace height and the best possible transition for now from curly to straight.

Bruno

PS These commands -- \bigl etc. -- are defined for plain TeX in plain.tex of course. In LaTeX they are still present but undocumented, and are defined towards the end of fontmath.ltx.