[lucida] Large braces, question and/or feature request

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Wed Apr 3 16:26:35 CEST 2013

Le 3 avr. 2013 à 11:06, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at me.com> a écrit :

> The way in which a specific size in this predesigned set of braces is picked up is said to be discussed in Appendix G of the TeXbook. Only for the very brave of heart.

Looking more closely, there seems to be a discontinuity in the transition from predesigned to constructed braces for the OpenType fonts, which wasn't present for the Type 1 fonts.

See the attached examples, with output for T1 and OT. The brace size seems to increase linearly for T1, as specified in the definition of \big etc. For OT it seems to "saturate" at the transition, before increasing again.

If [lucidascale] is commented out in the T1 example and [Scale=0.95] in the OT example (so that this is not a matter of nonlinear scaling for T1 vs. linear scaling for OT), the effect is even more interesting: the braces are unchanged for T1; for OT the penultimate and ante-penultimate braces sizes are identical, despite the different specifications (16.03pt vertical size for \Bigg and 17.72pt for \biggg).

Whether the problem comes from the font or unicode-math, I've no idea. It doesn't come from XeLaTeX, in any case, because exactly the same result is obtained with LuaLaTeX.

Bruno Voisin