[lucida] miktex maintenance(admin) menu

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 16 00:19:52 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
> Regarding http://tug.org/store/lucida/README-type1.txt.
> A miktex user just reported this:
>
>    One remark and suggestion to improve concerning item 4):
>    On Windows 64 bit in
>
>    Start > Programs > MikTeX > Maintenance > Settings > General > Refresh FNDB
>
>    [there is] both Maintenance and Maintenance(Admin). Which one to choose?

[In TL you have "fmtutil" and "sudo sys-fmtutil" (which corresponds to
the difference between non-admin and admin mode), except that "Refresh
FNDB" is an equivalent of "mktexlsr".]

Without trying, my guess is that it depends a bit on how MikTeX is
installed and whether user wants the fonts to work for everyone. This
part:

    "A tree labeled UserConfig (but not any of the others) is an acceptable
    target for your new fonts, if you have no permission to create a new
    tree.  However, it is better to use a tree without a description:"

somehow suggests installation for a single user.

I would put the files to a global texmf tree (equivalent of
texmf-local, I don't have windows here to say how exactly that one is
called) and use "Maintenance (Admin)" if I had admin password - that
rebuilds the database for all users, but requires proper permissions
and password (that the user might not have).

If user installs to his/her own tree (equivalent of texmfhome, except
that user may set up an arbitrary number of roots with a GUI), then
"Maintenance" (without Admin) definitely makes more sense.

But of course user can just as well have a personal installation. I'm
not sure if Admin option is shown in that case.

> I don't know, not having miktex.  Does anyone here use miktex?  Any
> advice?  (The user has things working, the question is how best to
> update the doc.)

Maybe also the part with "(*) Finding and/or creating your texmf-local
tree:" under MikTeX needs some editing, but I'm not sure how to write
something without over-complicating explanation covering different
scenarios (user with single-user installation, user with multi-user
installation and no admin rights, user with multi-user installation
wanting to install lucida for everyone using that computer, user with
multi-user installation and sufficient rights, but wanting to install
for him only; plus an arbitrary permutation/combination of arbitrary
local texmf tree). Most probably the option without Admin works for
any given user. (Sysadmins who have to maintain installation for
multiple users probably have more experience and would know when
selecting "Admin" would be more appropriate.)

Ulrike Fisher has a lot of experience with MikTeX. I would ask her for opinion.

Mojca