[lucida] Three remarks/reports about Lucida OpenType

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Mar 26 00:00:00 CEST 2012

Hi Bruno,

        bold and bold italic fonts but LuaLaTeX doesn't. For the latter,
        you have to indicate that bold is actually demibold, as in

Khaled said that this is fixed in the current version of luaotfload?

    (2) The example lucidaot.tex typesets successfully with LuaLaTeX but
        not XeLaTeX.

Yes, I neglected to try the final lucidaot.tex with xelatex, and it
trivially fails due to the \url in the title material.  I will fix as
soon as I have a chance.

    (3) [italic corrections]
    For LuaTeX I'm not aware of any such mechanism. If there is, does
    anybody know how to activate it?

As usual with LuaTeX, italic corrections are not built into the engine.
It is possible to write Lua code (e.g., invoked at font-loading time) to
approximate it.  But I am not sure if anyone has done a package to make
it easy to do so.

Khaled, do you know?  If not, this is a question for the luatex list
(lists.tug.org/luatex), sorry.

For the record ... one place I know where current luatex does better
than current xetex is with math typesetting.  Compare the simple $f_k$
in both.  In LuaTeX, the k is better positioned, closer to the f.  As I
understand it, this is due to an OpenType math thing, namely cut-ins,
which is implemented in luatex and not xetex (which essentially does tex
math).  Khaled is hoping to work on the OT math typesetting in both
luatex and xetex, for which we can all be grateful :), though TL'12 is
probably too soon for any results there.

Thanks,
Karl