[lucida] Bug in lucida ligature handling

Jaap-Henk Hoepman jhh at cs.ru.nl
Thu Aug 2 13:55:30 CEST 2012

Hi,

There appears to be a problem in the way ligatures are handled for the
lucida fonts. In particular, the \ffl ligature is displayed as a white
box, but _only_ when viewed with Bluebeam Pdf Revu and _only_ when the
.pdf is produced from the .ps that was produced using dvips. In the
latter case it doesn't matter whether ps2pdf was used or "Convert to
Adobe PDF" under windows.

In other words
- the .pdf displays fine in Acrobat (and PdfAnnotator)
- the .pdf also displays fine in Bluebeam Pdf Revu if it is generated
directly from the latex source using pdflatex (but not when generated
from the .ps file).

Note that the .ps file views fine in ghostview.

The problem seems to be related to the following snippet of .pdf

8 0 obj
<</BaseFont/TVCKVO+LucidaBright/FontDescriptor 9 0 R/Type/Font
/FirstChar 8/LastChar 121/Widths[ 663 0 0 0 657 0 994 1000
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 608 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 543 0 509 642 530 0 0 0 307 0 0 313 0 633 602
642 0 0 504 0 0 0 795 0 551]
/Encoding 13 0 R/Subtype/Type1>>
endobj
13 0 obj
<</Type/Encoding/BaseEncoding/WinAnsiEncoding/Differences[
8/fl
12/fi
14/ffi/ffl]>>
endobj

If I remove the encoding object (obj 13) or if I remove /Encoding 13
from the font object (obj 8) the file displays fine in Bluebeam PDF Revu.

I have not been able to determine which parts of the .ps file lead to
the above snippet of .pdf.

What gives?

Best,
Jaap-Henk

--
Jaap-Henk Hoepman            |  Sure! We've eaten off the silver
TNO, Groningen &             |  (when even food was against us)