[lucida] TeXShop installation of Lucida fonts

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Tue Feb 22 05:28:24 CET 2011

On  21 Feb, 2011, at 21:35, Lori Hughes wrote:

[...]

>> 	sudo updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --syncwithtrees
>
> updmap: This is updmap, version $Id: updmap 17423 2010-03-11 17:53:34Z karl $
> updmap: using transcript file `/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.log'
> updmap: initial config file is `/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg'
> updmap: configuration (updmap.cfg) unchanged.

This is right ---what the option ``--syncwithtrees'' does is

   Disable entries in the config file that refer to map files which are unavailable

You can see the documentation of almost every tool, package, etc., in TeXLive with the command texdoc in your Terminal; v.gr.,

	texdoc updmap
or
	texdoc kpathsea

(by Karl Berry himself; as already said, kpsewhich is one of the tools of kpathsea).

>> 	sudo updmap-sys
>
> runs a long list of map files, ends with
> updmap: Done.
>
> And now, lucida-sample.tex processes flawlessly. YAY!

Fine! Thank you for letting us know. And remember that in worst case scenarios you can do a clean reinstall by backing up important files and deleting the directories I mentioned in my previous email. It takes time because you then have to update your TeXLive distribution with the TeX Live Utility, which could amount to several hundreds megabytes of download, but some times is faster than trying to figure out what went wrong.

Also, in the future, say when TeXLive 2011 comes out, if you're in the need for a clean install and you have kept the 2010 distribution but are working with 2011, don't delete the whole texlive directory inside /usr/local, but just the year you need to reinstall (say, 2011 inside /usr/local/texlive).

For example, inside /usr/local/texlive I still have distributions from 2007 to 2010 ---some times a safety net is really worth having.

Best

Axel