[lucida] TeXShop installation of Lucida fonts

Lori Hughes hughesla at comcast.net
Mon Feb 21 16:58:01 CET 2011

On Feb 20, 2011, at 6:41 PM, Karl Berry wrote:

>    Tex Live 2010 is checked.
>
> Drat.  Now I'm confused.
>
>    So how do we go about finding out where usr/texbin is pointing?
>
> In the terminal, just run
>  ls -l /usr/texbin
>
> The result should tell us.

We get

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  63 Dec 28 09:48 /usr/texbin -> ../Library/
TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/Programs/i386

> Beyond that, here's a possible way to get the thing going for now, at
> least.  Run:
>  kpsewhich updmap.cfg
>
> This should return the full file name of the updmap.cfg being used.
> For the sake of example, say it's /foo/updmap.cfg (of course the real
> path will be much longer).

We get
/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg

> Make a copy of it in /tmp case of disaster:
>  cp /foo/updmap.cfg /tmp

done

> Then run this command to add the lucida line by hand.  I expect you'll
> have to be root to do this. Hence:
>  sudo /bin/sh
>  <enter your sudo password as usual>
>
> And then:
>  echo "Map lucida.map" >> /foo/updmap.cfg
>
> (It is *crucial* to type two >>'s, not just one!)

done

> After that, rerun the sudo updmap-sys ...

I get the same thing...

updmap: This is updmap, version $Id: updmap 17423 2010-03-11 17:53:34Z
karl $
updmap: using transcript file `/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-var/web2c/
updmap.log'
updmap: initial config file is `/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-config/
web2c/updmap.cfg'
updmap: configuration (updmap.cfg) unchanged. Map files will not be
recreated.

> If any questions or unease about this, we can keep pursuing.  This was
> just the way that came to mind to (hopefully) make things work "by
> hand".

Thanks for your help.  I'm going to try Axel's next suggestion and
will let you all know how that goes...

Lori