[lucida] Lucida Bright installation trouble on Debian

Michael Palmer mpalmer at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Aug 10 15:43:12 CEST 2009

Hi,

(I tried to post this message last night before confirming membership of the
mailing list, so I assume the first message got lost. If not and this is a
double post, please disregard. Thanks, Michael)

--------

I hope someone can help me with this.

I'm trying to install the Lucida fonts from TUG on debian lenny / texlive,
without success.

Steps taken so far (following the instructions in the TUG email):

- unpacked everything into /usr/local/share/texmf
- run mktexlsr

- run updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map
  output: updmap: using map file
`/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lucida/lucida.map'

- run mktexlsr again and, for good measure, texhash

then tried to compile the lucida-sample.tex that came with the docs. Gives me
error 'lucida.sty' not found.

command locate lucida | grep sty gives

/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucidabr/lucidabr.sty
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucidabr/lucidbrb.sty
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucidabr/lucidbry.sty
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucidabr/lucmin.sty
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucidabr/lucmtime.sty
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucidabr/luctime.sty

so lucida.sty is not there. I can't find a file named lucida.sty on CTAN,
either. When I comment it out in the tex file, neither latex nor pdftex can
find any of the fonts.

So at this point, the font files are in a standard location, lucida.map seems
to be active, the lucidabr.sty package is in the same texmf tree as the fonts
and seems to be loaded and be trying to load the fonts, but the fonts are not
found. In addition, I'm a bit foggy about the significance of the lucida.sty
package - is there any such package, or should I use another one? Can anyone
tell me how do diagnose the problem?

Thanks, Michael

--
Michael Palmer