[lucida] Installation of lucida for plain tex?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Oct 1 00:20:01 CEST 2008

Hi Ivo,

    LaTeX installation was straightforward.

Glad to hear it.

    (\usepackage[T1]{fontenc},\usepackage{textcomp},\usepackage{lucidabr})

I think the different packages were created (partly) because people
wanted to mix and match different features.

Also, it's not a good strategy for any package to ever
\usepackage{fontenc}, because sometimes the order of loading of fontenc
(and inputenc, among others) matters.

Despite the above, having a lucida package that does "usual" stuff by
default sounds like it could be useful.  I doubt I'll ever have time to
implement it myself and do a good job, though.  Volunteers welcome.
(Not to mention for maintaining the existing lucida packages.)

    \font \lucida = lbr at 14pt

The TFM names are things like hlhr8y (although the Type 1 names are
things like lbr).  See doc/fonts/lucida/readme.lucida for the list.

Best,
Karl