[lucida] Problems installing lucida complete on a Mac

William Maguire wmmaguire at mac.com
Sun Jan 20 06:18:00 CET 2008

Towards the end of last week I ordered the Lucida complete fonts. I am
using LaTeX on a Mac Pro running Leopard 10.5.

I experienced problems, first because I could not get the Unix unzip
utility to expand the files directly into the requisite directories
in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local and second because an error message
was issued during my first attempt to enable the lucida fonts (see
below).

To overcome the problem I used File Buddy with the Administrator Mode
enabled. I opened the texmf-local folder in a File Buddy list window
and simply dragged all the sub-folders from the lucida-complete folder
on my desktop into the requisite folders in the File Buddy window. To
complete the installation I opened a terminal windows and executed the
following commands in turn:

cd /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips

sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map

sudo texhash

I had an error message when trying to enable the lucida map. The
system was unable to locate the mtpro2.map from a previous font
installation. I located this map file and placed it in the /usr/local/
texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips folder with lucida.map. To force
the system to rebuild the map configuration file, I issued these
commands in turn:

cd /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips

sudo updmap-sys

sudo texhash

This procedure minimizes the tedium of manually building folders and
copying files in Unix and may be useful to other Mac OS-X users, who
like me come from a Windows background.

I have just built a web site with some guidelines for Mac users who
are new to LaTeX; on a couple of web pages, I give a step-by-step
guide outlining the above procedure: http://web.mac.com/wmmaguire/latexpages/

I trust this feedback may be helpful to others

regards

William Maguire