[lucida] Simple installation question

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Wed May 16 21:35:31 CEST 2007

On 16 May, 2007, at 05:26, Ian Fitzgerald wrote:

> [...]
> I have installed TeXLive2007 on a MS Windows XP Pro machine.
> I used kpsewhich to find pdftex,

I guess you mean pdftex.map.

> and inserted the text from lucida.map into
> it in its alphabetic orderly place, and saved the file.

I don't think Windows TeXLive is *so much* different than Linux or
Mac OS TeXLive. We *never* copy the text of a font.map file and paste
it into pdftex or dvips maps. That is updmap job. You have to put the
lucida.map where updmap can find it, then run

sudo mktexlsr [I don't know the equivalent of sudo in Windows or if
it's used at all]

and then updmap.

> I then ran updmap -- Map lucida.map

Again ---is Windows that different? We would  run

sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map

> I re-ran ls-r.

The other way around ---the databases have to be rebuilt *before*
running updmap. So the order is 1) put the map file where updmap can
find it, 2) rebuild the databases so updmap *actually* finds it and
then 3) run updmap-sys [is -sys also used in Windows? I don't know].

> However, pdftex produces a document in sans-serif(do not know which
> one), but
> poorly typeset, and manages to display an included jpeg figure.

I would advise to revert the file you modified by hand to its
original state and start over in the order above. But then again ---I
don't know anything about Windows. I think there should be
documentation for your system in your distribution.

Best,

Axel