[lucida] Solved: Installation difficulty on MiKTeX

Mike Chapman mike.brigu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 22:26:30 CEST 2006

You know how sometimes when you have a problem, you feel better about it
after just telling someone about it?

Out of curiosity, I checked the main updmap.cfg located at
texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg, and sure enough, there was the "Map lucidabr.map"
entry. Why should that be there? I then checked the MiKTeX packages from the
"MiKTeX Options" interface. Under MiKTeX packages > Fonts > Font Support,
and lucida was checked. I had installed the Y&Y support: I think I just
checked it once long ago under the delusion that that might install the
Lucida Bright fonts (rolling eyes?). That there could be a conflict was
obvious, so I unchecked it, refreshed the filename database, added the "Map
lucida.map" back to localtexmf/miktex/config/updmap.cfg, and ran "initexmf
-v --mkmap" again.

pdflatex now compiles with no complaints, Lucida is beautiful as ever, and I
am smiling.

I apologize for posting immediately afterward, but I didn't want anyone to
waste time trying to solve my previous post.

Thanks for listening,
Mike