[lucida] Getting LaTeX to recognise Lucida

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jul 1 01:03:00 CEST 2006

Hi Ian,

    However, the .pdf output still does not contain the Lucida font
    information,

My guess is that Lucida is missing from the pdftex map files.  These are
separate from the dvips map files, but updmap should set it up for both.

Unfortunately, I don't know if updmap even exists under fptex.  Do you
have such a binary?  Try running updmap --enable Map lucida.map.
Also, there may be path problems even if you have it -- I can imagine
fptex is not looking in the right place for the lucida.map file.  Hmm.

Can you run kpsewhich pdftex.map (from the ms-dos prompt) and see if you
get any result?  If so, please send it along.  And what's needed is to
add the lines for Lucida from the file lucida.map, which is in the zip
file and on CTAN, but I'll also attach to this msg for your convenience.

    still unable to find certain files. Is this relevant?

Yes, very much so.  That is the whole problem.  Since it doesn't know
that the lucida fonts are outlines, it's trying to look for bitmaps, and
not finding anyway.

Can you try running just latex (instead of pdflatex) and then dvips on
the resulting .dvi file?  Probably get the same problems, but worth a
try ...

Sorry for the problems.

Best,
Karl