[lucida] Problem with xdvi and lucida-sample.dvi

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Jan 20 07:51:29 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 15:51 -0700, John F. Godfrey, Pastor wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I just purchased the full package of lucida fonts from TUG, and
> installed them today.  I'm running tetex on a Fedora Core 4 system.  So
> I unzipped the files into /usr/local/share/texmf.  Then I ran mktexlsr.
> Everything went fine.  The email from TUG recommended latexing the
> lucida-sample.tex file.  I did so, and it seemed to run fine, with no
> problems.  But here's the error messages that I get when I try to view
> lucida-sample.dvi with xdvi:

Two things (I'm using FC4 btw)

FC4 had a misconfigured texmf.cnf file.
It has been fixed - so either manually update your texmf.cnf file, or
install the tetex-fonts package.

The problem is that the search path was wrong - TEXMFMAIN was before
TEXMFLOCAL.

That has been fixed in Fedora updates.

Anywho - you also need to enable the map.
As root, run the following command:

updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map

-=-
Finally - I found that user accounts that had existing local user texmf
trees had to run texhash as the local user or they couldn't find the
fonts (I've since added that to my cron job)