[lucida] textcopyright

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at latex-project.org
Wed Feb 1 08:03:07 CET 2006

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 07:34:48 +0100, Axel E. Retif <axretif at igo.com.mx>
wrote:

>> I'm curious: Which commands might that be? textcomp defines new
>> commands by the names \text<symbol>, \capital<accent> plus \newtie.
>
> Sometimes imagination is the limit. I work in a publishing house, and
> I've seen a lot of imagination in our authors ---one used \r for real
> numbers, so I could not use even T1 encoding. And right now I'm working
> in a recently finished book written in LaTeX 2.09!

Well, we can never defend against users knowing better than us and
defining commands with \def. I have myself received a bug report from a
user who \def'ed \= to be \equiv, not realizing that LaTeX resets \= in
many, many places - he just happened to not use math inside \parbox or
minipage in his short documents until an extension package changed that
behind the scenes.

My point was that with the exception of \newtie, all the textcomp commands
follow a rigid naming scheme where the users are fairly unlikely to have
chosen that name themselves.
--
Morten