[lucida] Some LaTeX symbols

Josep M. Font jmfont at inicia.es
Mon Aug 21 08:48:40 CEST 2006

El 20/08/2006, a las 21:29, Axel E. Retif escribió:

> On Aug 20, 2006, at 12:48 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
>
>>     there is \diamond in the symbols font, hlcry:
>>
>> Ah.  Sorry, now I'm confused.  What's the (intended) difference
>> between
>> \Diamond and \diamond?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> I wish I knew! I think Josep could tell us. With the following
> example, \Diamond comes from the LaTeX Symbol font (lasy), \diamond
> from CM Symbol and \lozenge from the AMS font:
>

> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{amssymb}
> \usepackage{latexsym}
> \thispagestyle{empty}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \( \Diamond\ \diamond\ \lozenge \)
>
> \end{document}

Axel, with your example there is little to tell; just watch the
typeset result. Clearly, the shape of the "diamonds" is not that of a
"lozenge". LaTeX's \Diamond is larger than TeX's \diamond, and
matches better with \square or \Box in the usual formulas of modal
logic. Typographical traditions in each field makes one used to see
certain symbols in certain shapes and sizes.

The strange thing is that, wanting to completely replace all math
symbols from CM fonts, LaTeX fonts and AMS fonts, the Lucida
designers made \Diamond equal to \lozenge...

Best,

JMaF