[lucida] installation question

Will Lowe wlowe at latte.harvard.edu
Sat Dec 31 23:34:14 CET 2005

Happy new year to you all.

Unfortunately the new year brings dumb questions about installing
lucida-complete.

The instructions say, essentially: 1) unpack into local texmf
directory, 2) run mktexlsr, 3) compile lucida-sample.tex to check it
all works.

I'm running OSX with gwTex, so the local texmf directory seems to be
called texmf.local  Everything's unpacked, and ls-R is
reconstructed.  Straight latex generates dvi with no problem.
However, pdflatex / dvipdfm / dvips etc. all choke with several
hundred of the following messages:

=========
(./lucida-sample.aux)kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600
--mag 1+18/600 --dpi 618 hlcrf8r
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlcrf8r.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
)
Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
(file hlcrf
8r): kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+18/600 --
dpi 618 hlcriw8r
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlcriw8r.
Font hlcrf8r at 618 not found
=========

I am, no doubt, failing to do something obvious.  Any thoughts what
it might be?

Thanks in advance,

Will