lucida] Lucida installation with RPM

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Sat Dec 17 22:41:52 CET 2005

> > I don't like that. I don't like _anything_ owned by rpm in /usr/local

Correct.

> For the time being I'll stick with $TEXMFLOCAL, although there can not
> possibly be a conflict when one puts the Lucida outlines into $TEXMFMAIN.

/usr/local is not under the control of rpm, it is used for software
which is installed from other sources (for various reasons). Please keep
it that way.

For rpm-controlled additions to the already existing tetex system,
either write into tetxt's system tree (/usr/share/texmf), which is
probably best, or start your own one (but *not* in /usr/local).

Don't make rpms which own directories already owned by other packages.

As for making spec files suiting every Linux distribution, my personal
experience is that it doesn't work. At the minimum one typically ends up
with a gazillion conditionals. Also, spec files made by RedHat (=Fedora)
users which "works for all systems" are typically damaged or sub-optimal
for SUSE, because their authors assume RedHat = standard = everyone
else. Combined with the lack of testing facilities and time, I've simply
changed to making specs which I can guarantee work on SUSE. Things may
be a tad easier for texmf because the target directory layout is already
prescribed.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.