[luatex] \openin does not find files with no extension

Harald Hanche-Olsen harald.hanche-olsen at ntnu.no
Sat Jul 27 19:30:03 CEST 2019

From: luigi scarso <luigi.scarso at gmail.com>
Date: 27 July 2019 at 18:58:23

We have to decide what to do here:
\openin\foobar=test-import
fails in pdftex and luatex
Hmm? Fails in luatex but not in pdftex – on mac and linux, at least. It should work in luatex, in my opinion.

\openin\foobar={test-import}
fails in pdftex but not in luatex
In pdftex, it tries to open {test-import} (braces included in the filename).

On luatex, it tries to open test-import (no braces).

This is documented, and the expected behaviour. I see no need to change this.

We are discussing if keep such situation or extend the second case to the first , having
\openin\foobar=test-import
fails in pdftex but not in luatex
Not sure I understand this option. It works in pdftex. Do we not want it to work in luatex too?

As far as I can tell, the problem with luatex is the different treatment of the filename depending on whether there are braces or not. So long as the filename does not contain spaces (and possibly other troublesome characters), I don't see why there should be a difference.

– Harald