[luatex] Accented characters on Windows / lfs

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Fri Sep 28 20:17:20 CEST 2018

On 2018-09-28 07:07, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl>
> Date: 28 September 2018 at 12:07:03
>
> afaik windows has no utf filenames, so when i save a file with that
> name
> i get
>
> cöw.txt
>
> (internally i think names become unicode16 and display depends on the
> code page)
> (But I am not a windows user myself, nor do I know much about windows,
> so I have nothing to contribute other than this reference. Sorry if it
> is off the mark or irrelevant.)

I think this is fundamentally correct, but just in case: Windows
supports Unicode UTF-16 in file names in NTFS-based file systems (but
not in the earlier FATxx file systems).  NTFS was introduced in Windows
NT in 1993, and became a part of consumer-based Windows systems with
Windows 2000:
     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS
If you're getting weird characters (like in the line quoted above), it's
likely that you're viewing them in a non-UTF16 application.  So yes, in
such applications the display depends on the code page--although code
pages themselves are largely deprecated in modern versions of Windows,
in favor of Unicode:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_code_page#Problems_arising_from_the_use_of_code_pages

    Mike Maxwell