[luatex] Accented characters on Windows / lfs

Harald Hanche-Olsen harald.hanche-olsen at ntnu.no
Fri Sep 28 13:07:50 CEST 2018

From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl>
Date: 28 September 2018 at 12:07:03

afaik windows has no utf filenames, so when i save a file with that name
i get

cöw.txt

(internally i think names become unicode16 and display depends on the
code page)

so, if you see

63 F6 77 2E 70 64 66

that's just bytes ... so you nee to recode
I found this answer on stackoverflow (https://stackoverflow.com/a/2051018/1842907):

––––

NTFS stores filenames in UTF16, however fopen is using ANSI (not utf8).

In order to use an UTF16-encoded file name you will need to use the Unicode versions of the file open calls. Do this by defineing UNICODE and _UNICODE in your project. Then use the CreateFile call or the wfopen call.

––––

Does luatex not do this on windows systems? Perhaps it ought to?

(But I am not a windows user myself, nor do I know much about windows, so I have nothing to contribute other than this reference. Sorry if it is off the mark or irrelevant.)

– Harald