[luatex] More on loading non-ascii filenames on windows

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Oct 1 05:24:51 CEST 2018

On 9/30/2018 5:45 AM, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> I am still struggling with loading images with filenames on windows. (My test environment is windows 7, 32 bit)
>
> I now bypass lua file system to build a file list, so I have all filenames encoded as UTF-8. Now I try to pass a filename to
>
> img.scan{...}
>
> But as I understand, Windows is not happy about the UTF8 filenames, so what should I do?

I probably misunderstand what you're doing, but Windows filenames are
encoded as UTF-16, not UTF-8.  I would guess that you'd want to convert
your UTF-8 encoded filenames to UTF-16 before passing them to some
function (although maybe it would be even nicer if that img.scan{}
function would do the conversion itself).

--
    Mike Maxwell
    "My definition of an interesting universe is