[luatex] \pdfcompresslevel

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 00:54:53 CEST 2018

I am trying to switch from pdftex to luatex for my next novel. Mostly it seems
pretty easy but I don't understand the luatex manual on the subject of the old
\pdfcompresslevel command:

> The configuration related registers have become:
> \edef\pdfcompresslevel {\pdfvariable compresslevel}

The meaning of that may be obvious to most people, but it isn't to me.

How do I change the old command:
\pdfcompresslevel=0
so that it works in luatex? Currently, luatex gives the error "Undefined
control sequence" when it encounters the above line.

I've tried a few things, but have not hit on the magic incantation :-( And in
any case I'd prefer to understand what the luatex manual means by the text
quoted above. I've tried to comprehend the text anent \pdfvariable but, in the
apparent absence of examples, I'm floundering.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans