[luatex] Indic scripts

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Tue Mar 27 03:22:21 CEST 2018

(I thought I sent this yesterday; I thought wrong)

On 3/25/2018 11:20 AM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 11:13:49AM -0400, Mike Maxwell wrote:
>> and web search just now didn't turn up any obvious
>> disclaimers along those lines
>
>    With respect, disclaimers about what?  What did you actually search
> for?  I really would like to know, because if there are misconceptions
> about concrete capabilities of LuaTeX we can try and address them.

I searched for information about LuaTeX in general; as I say, I didn't
realize it wouldn't natively handle complex scripts, so I wasn't really
looking for information on that.  And most everything I saw said how
good Luatex was; I never ran into anything that said "Don't use Luatex
if..." or "Luatex is good except..."

And I hasten to say that Luatex has proven good at some things, like
getting information out that would be inaccessible in other *TeXs.  (In
particular, information about the contents of boxes, which I needed in
my project.)  It just had significant limitations with regard to complex
scripts that caught me by surprise, as I had come to take them more or
less for granted.

> luaffi and similar experiments are an effort to create an interface
> between LuaTeX and libraries such as HarfBuzz; they are not about making
> LuaTeX use HarfBuzz (or similar).

I'm not quite sure what you mean here.  Perhaps by "making LuaTeX use
HarfBuzz", you mean forcing it to use only HarfBuzz.  If that's what you
mean, no worries; as long as I could turn on its use of HarfBuzz
(whether by command line parameter or a TeX command), that would be fine.

--
    Mike Maxwell
    "My definition of an interesting universe is