[luatex] Misplaced letter

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 25 19:38:26 CEST 2018

On 7/25/2018 6:12 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Sat, 21 Jul 2018 22:13:01 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>

>> afaik arabic works ok in context (i'd have gotten complaints from users
>> otherwise) so maybe you don't enable the right features
>
> Javier posted an example at
>
> https://github.com/lualatex/luaotfload/issues/423
>
> I posted there also the output I get with a current fontloader and
> the patches we made to luaotfload.
>
> The spacing on the left of the left lines looks a bit wrong. And the
> numbers should be perhaps read 1234. But I don't know enough about
> arabic fonts to be able to setup a comparision with context and with
> the luatex-plain code. And so I can't decide if the problem is with
> luaotfload/the fontloader or some missing feature in the font
> definition. Perhaps you could try too and show your output?

in such a low level halign the direction is not known so one should
either add a \textdir TRT in the cell or you can try to add this to

nodes.simple_font-handler

         if not direction then
             direction = tex.get("textdir") -- experiment
         end

of whatever variant you use .. both work ok

how numbers should read is not up to the fontloader code

>> Be aware that Ulrike takes recent version from the context distribution
>> so it might not be a drop in for texlive.
>
> If Javier needs a newer fontloader we will have to push the patched
> files and the newer fontloader to CTAN. luaotfload will break with
> luatex 1.09 so at some time this will have to be done anyway. The
> main point of my current tests is to be prepared for such a
> situation ...

Isn't it more the reverse? That a more recent fontloader expects 1.09+
(it also depends on what compatibility hacks you add)?

(Btw, there have not that many changed in the font code recently, only
that generic lua font lookup stuff you wanted.)

(Also, @ version 1.10 luatex is more of less complete, apart from low
level improvements nothing fundamental will change / be added.)