[luatex] Luatex 1.08.0 announcement

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 21:00:33 CEST 2018

LuaTeX 1.08 2018-08-28

(1) This release is a prelude to 1.10, the next stable iteration of LuaTeX
after version 1.00.

(2) Lua 5.3 is now considered to be default and we might use 5.4 in version
1.10. There are no real functional changed expected. You still need to
rename
the binary for 5.3!

(3) Binary mode is no longer available in MPlib but it is still available in
stand alone MetaPost. This simplifies compilation and reduces dependencies.

(4) The dependency on Poppler for pdf image inclusion has been removed. We
now use a small dedicated library written by Pawel Jakowski. We no longer
need c++ compilers. We're in the process of making it behave well on all
platforms. It has been tested on intel platforms.

(5) We know that there can be some (alignment) issues with the arm platform
but these are looked into. Therefore, later this year we will release 1.09.
Version 1.10 is planned for TeXlive. We hope that ffi works ok on intel and
arm platforms at that point.

(6) There have been some extensions to the Lua libraries and some callbacks
have been added. Also, a few new primitives have been introduced. The
documentation mentions the stable extensions.

(7) There are the usual bug fixes and cleanups but there have been no real
fundamental changes in the API.

The LuaTeX team