[luatex] Re-order pages

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Wed Aug 1 14:18:49 CEST 2018

Hello Susan,

pdf is capable of rendering the pages which is not necessary in the order of the time written. Let's say you write 10 pages into the pdf file, you can tell afterwards that the logical order is

1 7 2 3 4 5 6 8 9 10

Now I'd like to haven an interface to that.

The application is (as I have written in the first post) writing a table of contents. When I am at the end of a document, I know all the entries for the table of contents including the page numbers they appear on. Now instead of writing this information on the harddrive and reading it back in the second run, I could create another page (toc) and insert this as the real table of contents.

In the example above I write the table on page 7 and tell the PDF that it should display page number 7 after the first one. Of course, the visible page numbers should be in order, but this is not what I am asking.

My documents are sometimes really big (20 minutes to 40 minutes) and this would speed up things dramatically.

Patrick