[luatex] [lucida] luatex hangs on lucida OT test file

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Mar 10 22:22:44 CET 2017

On 2017-03-10 at 10:04:29 +0100, Bruno Voisin wrote:

 > The problem is probably that reconfiguring TeX Live to use a second
 > binary tree in addition to the main one is much more involved than
 > I originally thought, if possible at all. For example texmf.cnf has
 >
 > CLUAINPUTS = .;$SELFAUTOLOC/lib/{$progname,$engine,}/lua//
 >
 > that refers to non-existing paths in the distro. So I imagine it's
 > paths to libraries that are included at compile time inside the
 > binaries, hence absent from the distro. So that would mean relative
 > paths hardcoded into the binaries, possibly explaining why texdoc
 > (now in lua) would fail when luatex is no longer in the main
 > texlive tree.

Bruno, CLUAINPUTS defines directories where you can put shared
libraries which can be used by LuaTeX.  The directory doesn't exist
because no such libraries are shipped with TeX Live (yet?).  Since
shared libraries contain machine code, they have to be somewhere below
SELFAUTOLOC (imagine a tree with the root at the top :).  You can
safely ignore CLUAINPUTS.

I don't know why texdoc doesn't work.  In order to to find out what
goes wrong it's best to set the KPSEDEBUG env var with an appropriate
value for debugging.  I also don't know whether TEXMFCNF is the
culprit but I don't think so.

However, it *is* very easy to add a directory tree with other binaries
iff you have a (multiplatform) TeX Live installation from tug.org and
have write permissions in /usr/local/texlive.  The latter should be
true if the computer is yours.

It's very simple. Assume your platform is i368-linux:

  cd /usr/local/texlive/2016/bin
  cp -a i368-linux my-i368-linux

That's all.  Now you can replace the luatex binary in

  /usr/local/texlive/2016/bin/my-i368-linux

There is no need to touch any config file.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de