[luatex] recent tunenc.def fails with lualatex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Mar 6 13:57:07 CET 2017

> On Mar 5, 2017, at 8:48 PM, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:
>
> On 2017-03-05 at 19:18:55 -0600, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> I enclose the latest version of that doucment (for TL2014 and later):
>
> Dear Herbert,
> I'm sure that this document is very helpful, especially the paragraph
> beginning with
>
>  "So, why not just use ิupdmapี rather than ิupdmap-sysี?"
>
> But even if people are aware of the problem they often run ิupdmapี
> accidentally and don't remember later.
>
> I assume that most people who encountered this problem ran ิupdmapี
> accidentally.  How can they be aware of ิupdmapี at all if they didn't
> read the documentation?
>
> BTW, regarding map files you wrote
>
>  "Note: make sure to end the file with at least one blank line."
>
> Though this is usually a good idea, I think that it's worth to check
> whether updmap can be made more robust in this regard.
>
> Regards,
>  Reinhard
>
> --
> Reinhard Kotucha                            Phone: +49-511-3373112
> Marschnerstr. 25
> D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de

Howdy,

The blank line suggestion only comes from my ancient experience under UNIX and certainly doesn't hurt.

There are several reasons the problem persists. Experienced maintainers learned how to do updates quite a while ago but haven't kept up with changes (which may be subtle). Web pages live virtually forever without being updated with new information and quite a few of them just have old information.

The think the best way to overcome this problem is to completely separate USER space from SYS space (which includes TEXMFLOCAL). I think this could work pretty easily with fmtutil* but not updmap* which would require quite a bit of work.

Imagine fmtutil-sys works only in SYS space and creates formats in TEXMFSYSVAR. Then fmtutil-user ONLY works in USER space getting information ONLY from TEXMFHOME /web2c/fmtutil.cnf creating those formats in TEXMFVAR. Finally, fmtutil runs both fmtutil-sys (with the possible need for root ownership) to create the SYS formats and then fmtutil-user to create the USR defined formats. Then kpsewhich will still work the same way and will still find the format files.

It wold be nice if the same separation could be used by updmap(-sys/-usr). Unfortunately, this won't work in that case since not all binaries (e.g., dvips) can read more than one map file. (Karl pointed this out to me quite a while ago.)

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)