[luatex] slower texlua at LuaTeX 1.0.4 (TL 2017) ?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 07:12:00 CEST 2017

On 7 June 2017 at 09:58, Hans Hagen wrote:
> (for us the benchmark compilations are those on the context garden compile
> farm and you can bet that when there is a slow binary there we'll hear about
> it)

Except that in this case the binary has been compiled on the same
machine, with the same compiler and with the same environmental
variables as the luatex binary that's being used by every Mac user of
the ConTeXt distribution. The only difference is that the TL binary
was compiled from TL sources, while the one from our distribution was
compiled from the LuaTeX repository.

My numbers (on ancient hardware):

- ConTeXt distro before I updated it:
    real 0m33.331s
    user 0m32.000s
- ConTeXt distro at the moment:
    real 0m37.047s
    user 0m33.107s
- TeX Live:
    real 1m8.008s
    user 1m5.411s

I forgot to check which version of LuaTeX I had installed previously,
but current LuaTeX binary and the one in TeX Live both present
themselves with

    This is LuaTeX, Version 1.0.4 (TeX Live 2017)

I find that puzzling.

Mojca