[luatex] slower texlua at LuaTeX 1.0.4 (TL 2017) ?

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 09:23:43 CEST 2017

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 8:46 AM, jfbu <jfbu at free.fr> wrote:

> should I conclude that the LuaTeX experts are not the least
> bit interested into understanding which compilation flagsThe crucial point is that the same code has very different time of execution on a specific
platform, which should exclude that the problem i

> were modified and resulted in a texlua twice slower
> on macOS 10.9.5 with TeXLive 2017 release than it was
> with TeXLive 2016 for the same machine?
We care about these facts. Usually we test under linux & windows,
and the results are usually confirmed  also for macos.
We have not noticed slowdown.

> should I conclude it is _my fault_ to have reported this
> FACT at the initial message of this thread?
no, it's ok, we can keep track that there could be  a problem with
x86_64-darwinlegacy.  The next step is how to compile a
x86_64-darwinlegacy binary with the same optimization flags that I use
for luatex under x86_64-linux
(as already said, these flags can change in texlive, as happened for i386-linux)

> did I receive appropriate answers when Hans Hagen
> only reaction was to tell that my code (which
> I said explicitely was NOT MY CODE) was crap and
> could be sped up 99%, which was NOT my question?
> NOT MY CODE, NOT MY ALGORITHM, NOT MY BINARY.
hm no, the point of Hans is more general, not directly tied to this
case: better to  optimize
lua code, because is very  easy to quickly write  slow lua code.
This case is different, and it's not important if  it's good or bad code.

--
luigi