[luatex] font expansion and parshape

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Mon Jul 24 08:53:51 CEST 2017

Dear experts,

my observation is that font expansion and parshape don't (didn't) play well together, is that correct?

I use a very old version of LuaTeX (0.79) and break the paragraph by calling tex.linebreak(). I also set

    f.stretch       = 40
    f.shrink        = 30
    f.step          = 10
    f.auto_expand   = true

on the fonts. When the parameter on the second option of tex.linebreak() has a parshape table, (left margin 0, right margin at max width, so the same margins etc. as the regular text) I get a different line break.

My question is: is this intentional or is there something I can do on my side to prevent the different behavior?

I can't provide a plain TeX test file yet, just an output of my software at https://github.com/speedata/publisher/issues/125

The first paragraph uses a parshape table.

Patrick