[luatex] Bug in tex.linebreak ?

Frank Mittelbach frank.mittelbach at latex-project.org
Thu Mar 10 18:57:48 CET 2016

Am 10.03.16 um 14:12 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> On 3/10/2016 12:52 PM, Frank Mittelbach wrote:
>
>> whereas i think you always report
>>
>>   <actual looseness achieved>
>
> basically a global variable is reported that kept track of the last
> found looseness

so I thought :-)

>> only that is a variable that isn't set
>
> it's more that it only got set when there is a check for looseness which
> is not always happening (as it depends on other parameters as well) so
> then you get the old value (so that state is/was preserved)

that's what I meant with not set (or rather reset) ... basically the
internal code is largely original Knuth only that you use the Knuthian
globals also for reporting but then you you need the extra step that Don
optimized out

> well, the internal code is also a bit ugly in passing around info (and
> by now i've gotten accustomed to extra housekeeping at the lua end)

as I wouldn't know ... starting from the internals of Don's "spaghetti"
programming (as he called it himself once :-) ) is not that easy

frank