[luatex] luatex - font encoding for type 1 fonts

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 16:13:51 CEST 2016

On Sunday 26 June 2016 13:25:11 Pali Rohár wrote:
>   dup 34 /quotedblright put
>   dup 92 /quotedblleft put
>   dup 254 /quotedblbase put
>   dup 255 /csquotedblright put

Hans, this remind me, how to print above characters with your font
loader? In pdftex it is done by:

  \chardef\clqq=254\sfcode254=0
  \chardef\crqq=255\sfcode255=0
  \def\uv#1{\clqq#1\crqq}

  \chardef\elqq=92
  \chardef\erqq=34
  \def\qq#1{\elqq#1\erqq}

  \uv{text in czech quotes}
  \qq{text in english quotes}

In czech and slovak text is used different style of quoting and CSFonts
are prepared for it. Right czech quote is very similar to left english
quote and for these reasons lot of fonts have only one glyph for both
right czech and left english (under name quotedblleft).

But CSFonts differs between two characters and have two very similar
(but slightly different) glyphs. Left english quote is under name
quotedblleft and right czech under csquotedblright.

Glyph name csquotedblright is custom non-standard and so it is not in
any glyphtounicode mapping list. There is also no special Unicode
character for it and U+201C should be used.

Now I'm thinking that luatex must have problem if there are two
characters which needs to be mapped to U+201C...

But it should be enough if user is able to define own macro \uv to works
correctly (no need to type unicoded quotes in input tex file). How to do
that?

Also I think that your font loader could have problems with glyph name
"csquotedblright" as it is not any standard one...

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com