[luatex] pdfdecimaldigits < 4

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jan 19 16:22:29 CET 2016

On 1/19/2016 4:10 PM, David Carlisle wrote:
> Hans wrote
>  > unless of course you want to have worse output than possible (tex
> itself is rather accurate)
>
> Well not really:-)
>
> I was just trying to chase down where the warning was coming from (as it
> isn't mentioned in the manual)
> and if we're going to ask texlive/miktex to change the default setting
> for pdftex whether there is any documentation
> of the minimal advisable level, rather than just documenting it as a
> change to track changes in luatex.
>
> But in luatex, if there is a minimal value, I think it would be more
> natural if pdf.setdecimaldigits(3) warned
> (and set to 4) rather than the lua table value being set to 3 with no

in that case we set it to 3 and there is no need for a warning (not our
responsibility then that users want 3 to start with; less work too)

> warning but then getting a warning from the backend
> later (that is, it would seem more natural to me as a user: if that
> violates an internal split between backend and main code,
> I'll just have to re-align my expectations:-)

ha, you might also need to re-align you expectation that the the luatex
backend is the same as the pdftex backend which is only partially true
(we started out with the pdf backend but that's about it)