[luatex] mailman on luatex.org https front page

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Tue Aug 30 17:15:50 CEST 2016

> Am 30.08.2016 um 09:52 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl>:
>
> On 8/30/2016 9:23 AM, Martin Schröder wrote:
>>> www.luatex.org (we could do that, we just never needed it, so why
>>> spend money).
>>
>> They are free now: Let's Encrypt. :-)
>
> we have no secrets

https should be the default. I don't buy this 'we have no secrets' argument, as the provider cannot judge in all cases if submitted/requested data is perfectly non-sensitive. Using unencrypted connections on a public wifi for example can be dangerous.

There are so many reasons against unencrypted connections, and only very little against encrypted ones.

Two sites with arguments:

https://https.cio.gov/everything/
https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/security/encrypt-in-transit/why-https

To protect the integrity of TeX and friends distributions we should never rely on unencrypted connections.

But this is getting off-topic, I guess.

Patrick