[luatex] Luaotfload still cannot embed several new CJK fonts in Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Yusuke Terada taylorkgb at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 22:29:26 CEST 2015

Dear Elie,

I am Yusuke Terada, a friend of Kazuki's.
I found the bug and asked him to report it to this mailing list.
Please let me add some more information about it.

Here are the paths of fonts which cause the bug:

/System/Library/Fonts/ヒラギノ角ゴシック W0.ttc
/System/Library/Fonts/ヒラギノ角ゴシック W1.ttc
/System/Library/Fonts/ヒラギノ角ゴシック W2.ttc
/System/Library/Fonts/ヒラギノ角ゴシック W4.ttc
/System/Library/Fonts/ヒラギノ角ゴシック W5.ttc
/System/Library/Fonts/ヒラギノ角ゴシック W7.ttc
/System/Library/Fonts/ヒラギノ角ゴシック W9.ttc
/Library/Fonts/Klee.ttc
/Library/Fonts/TsukushiAMaruGothic.ttc
/Library/Fonts/TsukushiBMaruGothic.ttc

>  Is one of these fonts publicly available? If not, could you send
> it to me privately?

I'm afraid they are not freely available and cannot be sent, because they are commercial fonts and sending them violates Apple's EULA.
If you or someone else has OS X 10.11 El Capitan, please try this source:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\font\hiragino=HiraginoSans-W1 % PostScript name of a subfont of "ヒラギノ角ゴシック W1.ttc"
\begin{document}
\hiragino あ
\end{document}

If you compile this by LuaTeX 0.81.0, you will get the "Invalid TTC index number" error.

Sincerely,

Yusuke Terada