[luatex] upcoming release

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Oct 6 23:50:07 CEST 2015

On 2015-10-06 at 16:54:57 +0100, Joseph Wright wrote:

 > For TeX Live users, binary updates (essentially) only happen once
 > per year at release time, so probably something like April/May
 > before any change. (Someone from the TL team will doubtless comment
 > on that).

Well, there is a small difference between binaries for Unix and for
Windows.  Binaries for Unix are compiled once per year because a lot
of people are involved.  Binaries for Windows are compiled by Akira
Kakuto for his W32TeX distribution.  Akira occasionally uploaded new
binaries to the TL repository immediately after he had fixed a bug.

Of course, TeX Live should behave identically on all systems and it
doesn't make sense to upload LuaTeX 0.81 binaries for Windows only.

In order to evaluate LuaTeX 0.81, Unix users can easily compile the
binaries themselves and Windows users can use binaries from

  http://w32tex.org/

AFAIK W32TeX is always quite up-to-date and I'm sure that LuaTeX 0.81
will appear there soon when it's released.

 > For MiKTeX users the timetable is not so rigid though it's still
 > not going to happen 'immediately' following a code update.

It's all done by a single person.  What do you expect?  I'm wondering
why Christian doesn't at least steal the platform-independent packages
from TeX Live[1].  This could save him a lot of time and allow him to
concentrate on the binaries.

[1] It would also save a lot of space on the DVD.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de