[luatex] read and write streams

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Fri Nov 20 10:32:56 CET 2015

On 20/11/2015 08:32, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> I am sure the 80 characters vs 79 characters
>> must have been discussed on this list before,
>
> yes and we don't care too much about it because it's already quite
> tricky to include utf in the equation (multi byte chars) - one can argue
> than a newline char is either of not in the limit
>
> the same for logging. luatex is mostly compatible but we don't bother
> about small differences
>
> we might at some point even drop the wrap
>
> Hans

Note (for anyone interested) that many (though not all) of the
differences between LuaTeX and other engines can be normalised out with
appropriate scripting. The LaTeX team are doing that in l3build
(https://github.com/latex3/latex3/blob/master/l3build/l3build.lua) and
most of the differences we end up after that are 'expected' (i.e. at
present there are only a few things that are 'really' the same but which
log variation means look different).

The comments in the "formatlualog" function (line ~850) should hopefully
help anyone interested! On the wrapping specifically, LuaTeX is
relatively easy to sort out in most cases as we know it's 'out by one'
and can (most of the time) fix that. Try (u)pTeX with non-ASCII chars
for even more interesting line length changes!

Joseph