[luatex] Segfault with null argument to -output-comment

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at googlemail.com
Fri May 22 21:46:10 CEST 2015

On 2015-05-22 at 12:21:59 +0200, luigi scarso wrote:

 > A patch in trunk,
 > revision 5253.

Hi Luigi,
there is another issue regarding command line arguments.  It's a minor
issue but sometimes annoying.  AFAIK Knuth's TeX had no optional
arguments but some implementations added some.  These implementations
also issued a warning message

  [*]tex: unrecognized option '-foo'

if they encounter an argument beginning with a minus sign which they
are not aware of.

This was acceptable in the past, at least for all the other engines
though I must admit that it was sometimes annoying that I had to tell
TeX that *my* options begin with '+' and had to invoke TeX by a
wrapper script which replaces all '-' signs with '+' in advance.
Well, I think that this behavior is acceptable because reading command
line arguments from a TeX file is an ugly hack anyway and I'm probably
the only one doing such nasty things.

However, in LuaTeX it's desirable to suppress the warning message
because the command line (arg) is accessible by Lua code inside the
TeX file.  Thus it should be possible to make use of it without beeing
bothered or even confused by this message.

I suppose that the warning message is not intended in LuaTeX because
it had been removed already from former releases but came back in
TL-2014, if I remember correctly.  Maybe it comes from one of the
Web2C/Kpathsea .ch files or so and just had been overlooked in recent
releases.

Luigi, could you look into it, please?  Or discuss it with Taco, Hans,
and Hartmut if you are unsure?  IMO the message is confusing if
additional arguments are processed with Lua code later.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de