[luatex] Spurious? Missing character warnings from luatex 0.80

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Aug 26 16:13:29 CEST 2015

On 8/26/2015 11:11 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Tue, 25 Aug 2015 14:43:36 +0100 schrieb David Carlisle:
>
>> Hi,
>> The following plain luatex document
>>

>> \tracingonline1
>>
>> $b_{\hbox{\char 13}}$
>>
>> \bye
>>

>> Produces a warning
>>
>> Missing character: There is no ã (U+00E3) in font cmr10!
>>
>> in texlive 2015 luatex (0.80)
>
> I get it in miktex too. And the number changes if I add some text
> before the math
>
> \tracingonline1
> ab
> $b_{\hbox{\char 13}}$
>
> \bye
>
> Missing character: There is no ÷ (U+00F7) in font cmr10!
>
> with "a":
> Missing character: There is no ñ (U+00F1) in font cmr10!

fyi: the number changes because a non-char node is checked (so it then
depends on what is in the 'char' mem slot of that node) ... the checking
is somewhat different from pdftex because we need to make sure that
kerning between the nucleus and first script char (direct or in math sub
list) is done right (advanced otf kerning)