[luatex] What are user-defined whatsit nodes?

Stephan Hennig sh-list at posteo.net
Wed Nov 26 20:18:27 CET 2014

Am 24.11.2014 um 20:23 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

> The “official” Unicode was for suppressing a ligature is by inserting a
> ZWNJ character, so I guess inserting a whatsit is as close

That seems to work just as well (see attached example).  But ideally,
I'd like to not do the low-level node handling myself.  I'll post a
proposal of what I have in mind in a few days.

> (of course if one can get a ZWNJ to the output stream so that
> ligature suppression is maintained even when text is copied around,
> that would be even better IMO).

Doesn't look like that's happening, currently.

> BT
> /F1 9.96264 Tf 1 0 0 1 91.925 759.927 Tm [(butterflies)-333(butterflies)]TJ
> 1 0 0 1 303.509 105.18 Tm [(1)]TJ
> ET

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig

% -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
\pdfcompresslevel=0
\directlua{
% Declare constants.
  local GLYPH = node.id('glyph')
  local CHAR_f = string.byte('f')
  local CHAR_l = string.byte('l')
  local Ncopy = node.copy
  local Nnew = node.new
  local Ninsert_before = node.insert_before
  local Ntraverse = node.traverse
% Create ZWNJ template.
  local zwnj = Nnew(GLYPH)
  zwnj.char = 0x200c
% Register callback.
  callback.register('ligaturing',
    function (head, tail)
%     Iterate over node list.
      for n in Ntraverse(head) do
        if n.id == GLYPH and n.char == CHAR_l then
          local p = n.prev
          if p.id == GLYPH and p.char == CHAR_f then
            local zwnjx = Ncopy(zwnj)
            zwnjx.font = n.font
            zwnjx.lang = n.lang
            Ninsert_before(head, n, zwnjx)