[luatex] problem scaling some fonts

Thérèse Bonin furrabi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 01:28:59 CEST 2013

Dear all,

I’ve just noticed that GFS Complutum and CC Icons disappear from PDF output
if I use Scale=MatchUppercase, though they’re happy with
Scale=MatchLowercase.  The problem does not affect xetex, and GFS fonts
other than Complutum seem fine (e.g.,
\newfontface\neo[Scale=MatchUppercase]{GFS Neohellenic} works as expected).

Here’s a minimal working example:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
% choosing a main font just to have something to match, but this problem
isn’t tied to Pagella:
\setmainfont{TeX Gyre Pagella}
\newfontface\cmpl[Scale=MatchLowercase]{GFS Complutum}
\newfontface\icons[Scale=MatchLowercase]{CCIcons}
% \newfontface\cmpl[Scale=MatchUppercase]{GFS Complutum}
% \newfontface\icons[Scale=MatchUppercase]{CCIcons}
\begin{document}
Here is a test of GFS Complutum and CC Icons:

{\cmpl ὁπότεροι δὲ ἡμῶν ἔρχονται ἐπὶ ἄμεινον πρᾶγμα, ἄδηλον παντὶ πλὴν
  ἢ τῶι θεῶι.}

{\icons c b n a}

The fonts work, but change “Scale=MatchLowercase” to
“Scale=MatchUppercase,” and they disappear from the output in luatex,
though they still work in xetex.
\end{document}

I use an up-to-date vanilla TeX Live on Debian GNU/Linux 7 (“Wheezy”):
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.76.0-2013070317 (rev 4627)
 restricted \write18 enabled.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can supply.

Thérèse Bonin