[luatex] latest 'fixes' don't fix....again.

Élie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Fri May 10 09:14:05 CEST 2013

Dear all,

> Imho it is a bit of a problem if the pretest affects CTAN in this
> way. It is naturally ok that packages are updated for a new TeXLive
> but if problems due to large changes are expected they perhaps
> should better be put in some "pretest branch". Not every user expect
> packages on CTAN to suddenly switch in a sort of beta modus.

This is actually a very interesting discussion. The main point being
that, according to me, luaotfload is no ordinary package: it should be
considered as being part of the format, or maybe even the engine. So
yes, updates changing 2000 lines of code[1] in the format are dangerous
and should be widely tested by many people before reaching the "stable"
release. The question is: how do we handle it? For me the pretest period
of TeXLive is very ok, but should there be a ctan-dev repository? Or a
miktex-dev? I don't know...

By the way, polyglossia and luaotfload rely on a recent LuaTeX, so it's
definitely safer to take the same LuaTeX as TeXLive 2013...

Thank you!
--
Elie

[1] https://github.com/lualatex/luaotfload/pulse