[luatex] on some special glyph nodes

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Mar 25 23:10:30 CET 2013

On 2013-03-25 at 08:39:58 +0000, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

 > > In node lists, that is after the above mentioned conversion
 >
 >   I think you're misunderstanding the Unicode recommendation.  What it
 > means is that the characters you mention, inherited from ASCII, should
 > generally not be used, and replaced in input by the characters with a
 > more precise semantics.  I does not at all recommend to convert them at
 > any point once they've been input, that would have the opposite effect
 > to what the recommendation aims at.

In order to typeset program code, I often need the ASCII variants of
single quotes because "typograpic quotes" are sometimes confusing.
Consider shell scripts.  And in some typewriter fonts left and right
quotes are undistinguishable with the naked eye.  An example is IBM
Courier (shipped with X11):

  http://ms25.ath.cx/courier.pdf

There is a LaTeX package upquote.sty which patches \verb and the
verbatim environment.  It doesn't work with OTF (yet?).  It doesn't
even work with .dtx files, but for Type 1 fonts I can simply load a
modified .enc file with \pdfmapline.

What is the best way to achieve this with LuaTeX?  Is there a solution
already or do I have to modify the encoding of the Lua representation
of the OTF myself?  (like Ulrike tried to modify the chess font)

 >   Needless to say, that recommendation is hardly followed at all,
 > neither for U+0027 which is still overwhelmingly used to represent the
 > apostrophe (instead of U+2019 for the correct apostrophe), and even less
 > so for U+002D.  I myself have given up on using U+2019 in emails, as
 > too many systems still don't support it correctly (although there's
 > definitely been progress).

Does it mean that the U+2019 slot is empty in the font the recipient
is using?

I ask because I remember vaguely that some time ago there was a
problem because different fonts used different slots for /Omega and I
wondered why the glyph wasn't simply mapped to both code points.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25