[luatex] Luajittex 0.75.0 announcement

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 11:10:51 CET 2013

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Arno Trautmann <Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> luigi scarso wrote:
>>
>> New beta release of luajittex.
>> It's in sync with luatex beta 0.75.0, plus Luajit 2.0.1
>

> Luigi, would you consider putting luajittex into TL Contrib? I'm not sure
> how you distribute luajittex (code only, binaries, formats?), especially
> since:
>

>> The project is hosted as usual at
>> https://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/luajittex/
>

> I cannot find any files there: Clicking on “files“ gives me:
> “There are no file packages defined for this project.”
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> cheers
> Arno
luajittex would be "almost the same as luatex, apart an average
20%--40% gain in speed ". The problem is that luajit is (still?)
based on Lua 5.1, and luatex is now based on Lua 5.2. luajittex is
compiled with a Lua 5.2 compatible switch on, but I'm not sure that
this can solve all the problems. Also luajit wants a recent gcc, and
is not compilable for all the platforms of the texlive.
Luajit is still in its infancy and needs tests. We have spent quite
some time on ConTeXt mkiv (which probably has the large codebase in
Lua), and we have observed for example that the compiler has its own
influence on luajittex, so for now the choice is to provide only the
sources by svn plus some scripts for the gcc, clang and i586-mingwmscv
 compilers.
The W32TeX project at  http://www.w32tex.org/ or its mirror
at http://ctan.ijs.si has an update version of luajittex for windows
compiled with the MS compiler
(see http://ctan.ijs.si/mirror/w32tex/current/ChangeLog)
Others binaries are managed by Mojca and the builder team at
http://svn.contextgarden.net/suite-bin/tex/

Of course I cannot exclude that in the future I will put some binaries
at TLContrib, but it's not an immediate goal.
--
luigi