[luatex] detailed 'diagnostic' of MikTeX/Lua*/fontspec issues

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jun 29 22:57:07 CEST 2013

On 2013-06-29 at 14:24:38 -0400, Evan Cooch wrote:

Evan,
your report is quite detailed, but it's helpful for non-MiKTeX LuaTeX
users to know the version number of LuaTeX.  It's most important to
know at least which version of Lua is used.  I don't have Windows and
thus can't check myself.

 > For a variety of reasons, luaotfload doesn't 'find' fonts in TEXMF, so
 > you need to hack lualibs-dir.lua, as per
 >
 > http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/47156/luaotfload-cant-find-fonts
 >
 > Basically, you add
 >
 > P("(")  / "%%(" +
 > P(")")  / "%%)" +
 >
 > to the file, around line 95. The brackets will be escaped and
 > therefore the fonts in the "program files (x86)/miktex" folder can
 > be found.I've had to do this on *all* my other machines with MikTeX
 > (6 different machines). Has worked perfectly on all of them.

If you have to add these lines around line 95, you certainly have an
older version of lualibs.  In the latest version this is around line
150.

If you are using a recent LuaTeX from May 2013 (with Lua 5.2), you
need the latest version of lualibs and maybe many other Lua dependent
packages.  If you are using an older version (with Lua 5.1) it's not a
good idea to use the new libraries.

From

 > miktex-lua51-bin-2.9 (which is marked for removal)
 > miktex-lua52-bin-2.9 (which will be installed in its place)

I deduce that your LuaTeX is up-to-date, but I'm not sure.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25