[luatex] babel, fontspec und lualatex

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Jul 26 13:40:09 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:59:55PM +0200, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> ···<Datum: Friday, 26. July 2013>···<Von: Ulrike Fischer>···
>
> > Am Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:19:23 +0200 schrieb Javier Bezos:
> >
> > > Ulrike,

> > > Do you know if it works with the old (3.8) babel? (I've not tried
> > > it out yet -- just back from holidays). I have not changed this part
> > > (afaik :-)) because I'm still investigating how to fix the whole
> > > \text<script> stuff in a backward compatible way.
> >
> > miktex still has Babel <v3.8m>, so I could test: There is the same
> > problem, the fontdimen is 0 and there is to much space between X and
> > n.
> >
> > Imho the correct solution would be that luatex/luaotfload sets
> > \fontdimen1 for italic fonts to a sensible positiv value.
>
> What’s “a sensible value” if italic correction is done on node
> level?

Note that \fontdimen1 is *not* italic correction, but the italic angle
of the font i.e. its slant amount.

> Someone knowledgeable about font parameters and how they translate to
> the original values would have to supply the code, though,

ConTeXt code in luaotfload already does that, at least I see that
copytotfm() sets parameters.slant for italic fonts, so someone needs to
check why this is not working as expected.

> especially when it comes to the more delicate parts described in
> appendix G.

You don’t need to worry about math font dimentions, the OpenType math
machinary does not need them (they might even confuse LuaTeX to thing it
is dealing with an old font) and old math fonts should have them in the
loaded TFM files already.

Regards,
Khaled