[luatex] luaotfload problems on windows (TL + Miktex)

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Wed Jul 10 17:33:41 CEST 2013

I found some time to update today miktex and texlive and would like
to report some luaotfload problem.

I used a small document for the tests which loads an system font:


I deleted the fonts caches before the tests. 

1. luaotfload can't create the font database on-the-fly during the

luaotfload | db : Font names database not found, generating new one.
luaotfload | db : This can take several minutes; please be patient.
luaotfload | db : Failed to save names database
luaotfload | db : Database creation unsuccessful.

And there is nothing in the "names" folder.
This happens in texlive + miktex. 

  luaotfload-tool --update --force --vv
works fine and creates the database. 

2. Miktex/installation specific:
Miktex hanges while create the cache for a new font and shows a lua

luaotfload | db : Database creation unsuccessful.
luaotfload | load : loading the extended glyph list from ConTeXt

The problem seems to be that luaotfload tries to load font-age.lua
which doesn't exist on a normal miktex system (there is not context)

3. lualatex compiles fine after I created the font databases with
luaotfload-tool, but the log (both systems) shows a lot of this

luaotfload | cache : Could not write lookup cache
luaotfload | cache: Could not write to cache
luaotfload | cache : Could not write to cache

Ulrike Fischer 

More information about the luatex mailing list